Studio also signs first-look series rights deal with Horgan and Clelia Mountford UK-based production company Merman
Amazon Studios today announced it has closed an exclusive two-year overall deal with Emmy-nominated writer and creator Sharon Horgan (Catastrophe). In addition to her personal deal, Horgan and co-founder Clelia Mountford’s entertainment company, Merman, also signed a first-look deal with Amazon Studios. Amazon Studios will get first-look rights to Merman concepts to which Horgan is attached and remake rights to Merman-produced television series.
“Sharon Horgan is one of the sharpest and engaging actress, writer, director working in television today. We are thrilled she has joined the forces of Amazon to create new groundbreaking content,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios. “Her strong creative voice and storytelling sensibility have resonated with audiences globally and will make for outstanding content for our Prime members.”
Sharon Horgan and Clelia Mountford said, “Amazon is at the forefront of ground-breaking television and Merman is delighted to be part of their remit to create unique content. The team at Amazon have supported us since the inception of Catastrophe and we are thrilled to be working together. Also all the free books and stuff is great.”
Merman was founded in 2014 by award-winning duo Sharon Horgan and Clelia Mountford. Since then, Merman has gathered multiple accolades the world over, including BAFTA, Emmy and RTS nominations.
Merman’s recent projects include Motherland for BBC Two starring Anna Maxwell Martin, Lucy Punch and Diane Morgan, Bliss for Sky Atlantic starring Heather Graham and Stephen Mangan, the third series of the award-winning Catastrophe for Channel 4/Amazon created by and starring Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney, Divorce by Sharon Horgan for HBO starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church, one-off special The Circuit for Channel 4 reuniting award winning duo Sharon Horgan and Dennis Kelly, and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret for IFC starring David Cross, Will Arnett, Sharon Horgan, Jack McBrayer and Blake Harrison, with many more in development and production.
Merman have also produced multiple shorts for Sky Arts across its different strands, including Morgana Robinson’s Summer: Dream Land, a season of Horror Comedy Shorts, Lolly Adefope’s Christmas, and Sky Arts Comedy Shorts: In Ireland.
Merman works in all areas of the worlds of entertainment and communications, not just scripting award-winning TV and film, but also creating and executing the next generation of branded entertainment.
The Merman family of talent includes David Cross, Rob Delaney, Dennis Kelly, Jack McBrayer, Sara Pascoe, Shaun Pye, Aisling Bea, Morgana Robinson and of course Sharon Horgan. Merman’s commercial directing roster features multi-faceted talent like MJ Delaney, Peter Lydon, SNL director Paul Briganti, Frank Coraci, rising star Mariana Youssef and Academy Award nominee Lucy Walker. In the UK, Merman is proud to represent Superprime and its roster of directors including Martin Scorsese, Terrence Malick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Emmett and Brendon Malloy, David LaChapelle, and Damien Chazelle.
Since its genesis in scripted comedy, Merman has added brand communication and advertising production to its output, with Global Managing Partner/Executive Producer and Academy Nominee Kira Carstensen running the LA and NY offices, and Jeremy Rainbird, Global Managing Partner/Executive Producer and industry veteran running the London office. Beyond traditional ads, Merman’s focus is to bring writers and creators from their TV and film family into scripting entertainment for brands.
Merman co-founders Clelia Mountford and Sharon Horgan first met on Season 1 of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret as producer and actor, respectively. Both enjoyed full and diverse careers before joining forces to create Merman in 2014. In addition to working with established writers, actors and directors around the world, they remain committed to discovering and nurturing new talent as the Merman family grows.
About Prime Video
Prime Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch, and how to watch it. Prime Video is the only service that provides all of the following:
- Prime Video:Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed and self-published content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Prime Originals like The Grand Tour, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Tick, Amazon Original Movies such as Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea, The Big Sick and The Salesman and kids series, Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership. Prime Video is also now available to customers in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe at primevideo.com.
- Live Sports: Sporting events, including AVP volleyball and ATP tennis, are available to watch live on Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe.
- Amazon Channels: Over 140 channel subscriptions that Prime members can add to their membership, including HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, Cinemax, PBS KIDS, Acorn TV and more. To view the full list of channels available, visitamazon.com/channels.
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers.
- Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Prime Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit amazon.com/howtostream.
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR), X-Ray and mobile downloads for offline viewing of select content
In addition to Prime Video, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free shipping options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited reading with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalogue with Audible Channels for Prime, a rotating selection of free digital games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, exclusive access and discounts to select items, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more visit: www.amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.